Whether you are a metal detecting enthusiast already or you are just starting out, there are some great reasons to join a metal detecting club. These types of clubs are springing up all over the place as metal detecting gains momentum as a fun and sometimes lucrative hobby. All you have to do is look online and you’ll undoubtedly find several clubs near you. Below are just some of the reasons you should consider enhancing your hobby by joining a metal detecting club.
Why Beginner Detectorists Should Join a Metal Detecting Club
- Learn Metal Detecting Skills – If you are new to detecting, you will be able to learn valuable skills about how and where to detect. Many clubs offer training sessions for rookies to learn about detecting equipment and the fundamentals of detecting.
- Learn the Rules and Regulations of Metal Detecting – There are a lot of rules and regulations that govern where you can detect locally, and on state and national land. Experienced club members will help you ensure that you are detecting legally and you will likely be taught the metal detecting laws.
- Learn from Other Detectorists’ Experience – Who knows what you may find while detecting? Some of the relics and treasures you find when you are starting out may not be familiar to you. Members with experience will be able to help you identify objects and assess their value.
Why All Detectorists Should Join a Metal Detecting Club
- Meet New People with Common Interest – For most people, participating in a hobby is more fun when they have someone to do it with. Metal detecting is an opportunity to meet other people with whom you already know you have a common interest. The nice thing about being a member of a club is that when you are feeling social, you have people to socialize with, but when you are not, you can go it alone.
- Participate in Club Activities – Most clubs have activities and get-togethers that offer you a
chance to get to know each other off of the detecting field. Some clubs also participate in volunteer community projects or activities together so you can give back to your community.
- Stay Up-to-date on Metal Detecting Information – Club members share information about the metal detecting community, new detectors and accessories, rules and regulations, and other useful news. Being in a club means that you will be abreast of all things metal detecting, including information about what other clubs in the area are doing and challenges facing the hobby.
- Help Keep Metal Detecting Legal – Clubs often advocate for the legality of metal detecting and are the voice for keeping metal detecting a recreational hobby in which anyone can participate.
- Have Fun – The most important part of metal detecting is that you have fun. When you are a member of a metal detecting club you are sure to enjoy yourself, develop new relationships, and participate in fun activities, all while seeking – and maybe finding – long lost treasures!
These are just a few of the reasons that you should give a metal detecting club a try. Certainly, there are many more, so give it a shot and see what you think. Chances are good you’ll have a great time.