Picking the right sand scoop for your treasure hunting needs will help you recover targets more quickly with less effort, providing for a better hunt overall. With over 50 years of industry experience, Kellyco has tons of experience in helping our customers pick the right metal detectors and gear, such as sand scoops.
What Are the Best Sand Scoops to Purchase?
While it is impossible to say which scoop is the best for each individual treasure hunter to buy, it is possible to point to some of our best sellers and discuss them more in-depth. Continue reading for a detailed view of some of our most popular models of scoops on the market today.
Reilly’s Treasured Gold, more commonly known as RTG, has been producing some of the highest-quality and most heavy-duty sand scoops on the market for years. They sell stainless steel scoops, aluminum sand scoops, and many other target recovery tools for beach metal detecting. For someone looking for the ideal sand scoop that will give them a variety of handle lengths, they should definitely look into the RTG 32″ Adjustable All-Aluminum Sand Scoop. This sand scoop gives you the opportunity to modify the length of the handle for whatever situation you run into, providing you with a highly-adaptable scoop that you can use rain or shine, on the beach or in the water.
CKG sand scoops are built to perform in any condition, as they are built with a lightweight stainless steel, providing the ultimate in ergonomics and durability. The CKG 11″ x 8″ Sand Scoop features a top hole for a handle that you can install on your own. This allows you great flexibility in picking out the exact handle length and style you desire. If you would prefer a high-quality option that will last for decades, consider the CKG Universal Carbon Fiber Sand Scoop Shaft, as it will take a beating, while remaining lightweight and ergonomic.
Detecting Adventures sand scoops are also built with the customer in mind. They are highly durable and will never give up on you, lasting decades with no problems at all. The Detecting Adventures T-Rex 9.5″ Sand Scoop is one of the most popular sand scoop solutions we offer. The Detecting Adventures T-Rex scoop comes with no handle included, as it gives customers the option of choosing their own handle. It is constructed of tempered stainless steel, providing both incredible strength and corrosion resistance. If you are looking for one do-it-all sand scooping solution, this is it.
Why Do I Need Sand Scoops for Metal Detecting?
If you are frequently metal detecting on the beach, you might already know the answer to this, as you have recovered hundreds of pieces of jewelry, coins, and other buried treasure. Beach scoops are designed to quickly sift through sand to help metal detectorists locate their targets with ease. If you have ever tried sifting through the sand with your hands or a shovel, you know how inconvenient it can be, especially when it is a very small metal object, such as an earring or a coin. To many beach hunters, they would never go metal detecting without their water scoop.
In addition to those who enjoy metal detecting beaches, there are also a few more very invaluable uses for a scoop as well. Many hardcore relic hunters will do anything they can to dig up artifacts of the past, which is why they are often very well respected. Oftentimes, historic sites, such as battlefields, old schools, or homesteads were located right by a body of water. When this occurs, some relic hunters will hunt that creek, river, or other body of water no matter what, as they know that there will be tons of good stuff below the surface. To effectively hunt these bodies of water, they will probably use a water scoop, as it is impossible to see what you are doing with a shovel or trowel. Using a treasure scoop will sift through the mud, sand, and sediment found on the bottom of the river to leave them with their relics.
There is another scenario that gives metal detector beach sand scoops significance. This scenario is much like the relic hunting scenario, but with gold nuggets. Gold prospecting is an excellent way to find quite a bit of the yellow, valuable metal. Prospectors have no control over where gold will be located, so it is important to carry an assortment of digging tools. A treasure hunter will be well served in any bodies of water, such as creeks and streams, in addition to any sandy areas where they have located gold. You will be enabled to quickly sift through sand and soil to find your gold, saving you time and effort.
The last reason that many detectorists own a sand scoop is that they have back problems or other body pains. Sand scoops can be purchased with a long handle, meaning that detectorists do not have to bend over to recover their target. To someone with arthritis, back pain, knee pain, or shoulder pain, this can be a saving grace. Not only will it allow you the chance to metal detect, but to do it with no pain and for a much longer time. If you are someone who struggles with body aches, a long handle sand scoop could change your life.
As can be seen, there are a wide variety of uses for a treasure scoop, providing tons of flexibility and usefulness to the user. Whether it is in the places you are hunting or having body aches, there are multiple reasons to invest in a sand scoop that will last you for decades. Now that you see why you need a sand scoop, it is important to make sure you pick the best one for your needs.
How to Pick the Best Sand Scoops
1. Different Types of Sand Scoops
- Stainless Steel Sand Scoop: One of the most important factors that you can keep in mind when determining which sand scoop you want is the material it is made out of. Stainless steel is a best seller, as many detectorists might be hunting in or around salt water, which is highly corrosive compared to any other environment. Stainless steel sand scoops are built to withstand harsh environments with their heavy duty construction, providing buyers with a high-quality scoop that will last for decades. Stainless steel is entirely corrosion-proof, as long as you take care of it, and will help you sift through any amount of sand, mud, or water for as long as you need it to.
- Aluminum Sand Scoop: Another material that sand scoops are made out of is aluminum. Aluminum is very lightweight, and as long as you will not be hunting in salty, corrosive environments, these scoops can be a great addition to your digging tool selection. Even though aluminum scoops are lightweight, they are still built to last with heavy duty construction. Determining whether you want stainless steel or aluminum for your sand scoop is an important first step that will help guide your purchase.
2. Sand Scoop Handles
Another very important factor that will help narrow down your purchase is the size of the handle of the treasure scoop. There are usually three distinct handle sizes when it comes to scoops. There is a short scoop, medium handle scoop, and a long handle scoop. Each of these handle sizes has its merits and downsides:
- The Short Handle Scoop: The short handle scoop allows for more control over the scoop in the sand, however it requires you to bend over, which can cause a sore back and muscles after a while.
- The Medium Handle Scoop: The medium handle gives you more control than the long handle, however it still requires you to bend over a bit, making it the best of both worlds.
- The Long Handle Scoop: The long handle scoop is great for your back and muscles, however it can be a little bit harder to extract your metal target at times. Determining the length of your handle on your metal detector sand scoop will give you a great idea of how you can narrow down your search, as each length is great for a certain type of person.
While handle length is definitely an important factor, handle shape is another important factor. Depending on the way you metal detect, this can make a huge difference. There are three main handle types:
- A Standard, Straight Handle: The most common is a standard, straight handle. This protrudes from the metal sand scoop at an angle or straight out, and this handle type works great for most detectorists.
- A Curved Handle: There is a curved handle, which many detectorists who like to get close to the ground like, as it allows for a smooth scooping motion.
- A ‘Kick’ Handle: The final handle design is a ‘kick’ handle, which protrudes out at an angle to the basket and then curves downwards. The kick design is a great option for anyone who is looking for a longer handle for knee high or waist high water scenarios.
While seemingly insignificant, handle design can make a treasure scoop much better for someone depending on their preferences.
3. Basket and Sifter Construction
One more factor to keep in mind when picking your water scoop is the type of basket and sifter construction. While the basket shape is generally the same for every scoop Kellyco offers, there are some differences in the mesh patterns. Some scoops are built for dry sand, and these are often made of a wire mesh that quickly recovers the smallest of targets. The wire mesh scoops are a bad choice for water recovery, as mud and sediment can ruin the mesh more quickly than it should. Some underwater search scoops are designed to be able to handle mud, wet sand clumps, and other sediments, and these feature a stainless steel coating with holes cut into the metal. These still capture small targets and can withstand the abuse of water hunting. In addition to this, there are also hexagon and round holes that make up the basket, and these essentially come down to personal preference. Think about whether you hunt in the dry sand or in the wet sand and water more often, and this will help guide your investment into the proper sand scoop.
4. The Price of the Sand Scoop
A final, and very important factor to many, is the price of the treasure scoop. Some of the sand scoops we sell here at Kellyco are built to be in a luxury or professional class of sand scoops. Others are built for the working person, who only wants to spend a small amount to get a quality tool to get the job done. Regardless of how much you are willing to spend, each of the scoops we sell are built to last and come with heavy-duty, high-quality construction. Once you have determined the price you are willing to pay for a scoop, you have the final piece to the puzzle.
Now that you have taken into account the price, basket and sifter construction, handle design, handle length, and the material the scoop is made out of, you should now be able to narrow down your search. At this point, you can browse through the treasure scoops we sell and pick the perfect one for you.
At the end of the day, picking the right sand scoop can mean the difference between finding your buried treasure, and losing it in the waves. There is no reason to not purchase a sand scoop, whether it is the most expensive option or the most affordable option. Kellyco makes it a priority to provide the highest quality scoops for any budget. If you are someone who does a lot of beach hunting, relic hunting in water, or does gold prospecting in sandy or water environments, or someone who has back pain or other body pain, a sand scoop can be the perfect tool for you. If you have any questions at all about sand scoops or any other digging tools, please reach out to us with any questions, as we would be happy to help.