- 2. Where are you looking?
- 3. How often will you be metal detecting?
- 4. What is your experience level?
- 5. What is your budget?
When you are looking for a new metal detector, consider your primary search area. If you are searching in domestic areas such as parks, playgrounds, old school yards, old homesteads, fishing- hunting camps, and other dry ground sites, an all-purpose metal detector is the one for you, and there are many to choose from. If you are going to be searching the edges of the water for lost rings coins and jewelry, most all-purpose metal detectors have waterproof search coils that are safe for shallow water detecting. However, if you are going to be searching salt water locations and want to be able to submerge your entire metal detector, you will need an underwater / beach / land metal detector that has a waterproof housing, and one that can find treasures without the signal being disrupted by the conductivity in salt water or on a wet sandy beach. Consider the Minelab Excalibur II series, or Minelab CTX-3030, the Tesoro Sand Shark, Tesoro Tiger Shark or the Garrett Sea Hunter.
Metal Detecting is becoming one of the fastest growing hobbies in America. No doubt, you will become just as addicted as the rest of us; you will want to consider the quality and durability of your machine. Detectors like the Garrett AT Pro and Nokta FORS CoRe are built to last which is exactly what you’ll need when searching in rugged areas. Make sure you read the reviews on your machine and look at the warranty. Manufacturers such as Minelab, Garrett, White's, Nokta, Tesoro and Fisher offer exceptional warranties to ensure that you will be protected for years.
Don’t have much experience? No problem! Most Metal Detectors are simple to use right out-of-the-box. The Pioneer 505, Titan 9000, and Garrett AT Pro are great detectors for beginners. If you are looking for something that requires a bit more experience but keep the learning curve low, the Teknetics T2 and Minelab Safari are a couple of such machines.
After answering the questions above, the only question left is determining your budget. Depending on your answers, you may be considering a serious investment. But one thing to keep in mind is that a single good find could be worth the price of the investment you will make in quality equipment. If you have good equipment, you will be able to search deeper, discriminate better and find more treasures. Use our “Metal Detector by Price” section to show you detectors in your price range. No matter your budget, your metal detector will be worth the investment as it guides you through treasure hunts and helps you make fascinating discoveries.
What if you are searching for deep buried or hidden treasures on land or water?
You need a detector or detectors that will go much deeper than even the best hobby or consumer types. Detecting Devices from OKM can penetrate a few feet in the ground and scan as deep as 80 FEET! The Nokta Golden King is another favorite of serious treasure hunters needing to find DEEP Gold Treasures. Nokta claims to locate and identify Gold Targets to 8 meters. Both are detectors with real time 3D imaging, in a way it's like seeing into the ground! And there are other detectors you can investigate listed as Professional Metal Detectors.
Continue Reading, there's more...
Have More Questions? Call a Certified Metal Detector Expert
Toll Free: 1-888-535-5926 or 407-699-8700
Please click here to contact us
- Everything from batteries to searchcoils!
- Things you need to know!
- A to Z source for words related to metal detecting!
- Top areas to start your search for treasure!
- Now What: You Bought a Metal Detector, What's the Next Step?
- What's the Difference and do You Need One?
- The who, what, where, when and why of finding a fallen star!
- Includes methods to clean coins without causing damage.
- Steps showing how to become a great relic hunter written by Andy Sabisch.
- Information on on how to successfully test your metal detector!
- Metal detectors can unearth some of the worlds most beautiful treasures.
- Older treasure is more valuable and interesting!
- Find treasures in your local park!
- Information on how to become a great beach hunter
written by Bill Paxton.
- Charles Garrett, treasure hunter/author, offers tips for beginners
- Things you need to know!
- A thorough list of the top sites for any treasure hunter!
- Metal Detecting Treasure Tips by Jim Foster!
- Things to keep in mind while treasure hunting!
- Do you know a youngster interested in metal detecting?
- Gold Detecting Tips From A "Pro"
- Look For The Best Places To Hunt!
- Steps showing how to become a great coin hunter written by Bill Paxton
- Information on how to become a great urban treasure hunter written by Bill Paxton
- Information on how to become a great beach & lake hunter
written by Andy Sabisch.
- Information on how to thoughtfully recover targets keeping the environment and the target itself in mind written by Bill Paxton.
- Informative videos to help you learn and become better detectorist.