- 2. Where will you be metal detecting most of your time, parks, schools, fairgrounds, mountains, beaches, in the water?
- 3. How often will you be detecting?
- 4. How much experience do you have?
- 5. How much do you want to spend? Spend $ Find $$$$$
Think about where you'll be hunting the majority of the time. If you plan to be searching in your neighborhood parks, playgrounds, old school yards, fishing- hunting camps, and many other dry ground sites, then an all-purpose metal detector is the one for you, and there are many to choose from. If you live close to lakes or rivers and want to hunt the edges of the water for lost rings coins and jewelry, most all- purpose metal detectors have waterproof search coils that are safe for shallow water.
However, if you live close to a salt water ocean, rivers or lakes and want to go into the water where the entire metal detector can be submerged or dropped into the water, then you'll need an underwater/beach/land metal detector that has a waterproof housing, and one that can find treasures without the signal being disrupted by the conductivity in salt water or on a wet sandy beach. You'll want to check out the Cobra Beach Magnet, Viper Trident, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab CTX-3030 and Garrett Sea Hunter. All are excellent options that will help you find treasure on land and water for many years.
NOTE: More Gold Rings and Jewelry are found at ocean beaches and lake swimming areas than anywhere else.
Do you want to metal detect on the weekends or whenever you can? Are you retired and planning to treasure hunt as much as possible even taking your detector with you on vacations? Are you an active or inactive Senior looking for a fun activity that adds exercise benefits? Chances are you'll become addicted to this great hobby just like the rest of us, so you'll want to consider how your detector stands up to repeated use.
Be honest with yourself. How rough will you be on your machine? You might not plan on dropping it, but you probably will. Think about all the bumps and jolts your machine will have to handle in the trunk of your car or if dropped on rocky terrain. The bottom line is that you'll want a rugged machine that is built to last and you’re lucky, most detectors today are built to rigorous international standards to stand up to hard use if encountered.
Before you buy, make sure you read the reviews for your detector and look at the warranty. All detectors carried by Kellyco offer exceptional warranties that will keep you happily searching for treasures for many years to come! And if you ever need to send your detector in for repairs, these manufactures will give you excellent services!
Don’t worry if you’ve never metal detected before. Most modern machines feature Quick Start settings that make treasure hunting as easy as installing batteries and turning on the detector. With the push of a button, pre-set discrimination settings let you zero-in on finds like old coins, diamond rings, and gold nuggets while filtering out iron junk. Automatic tuning helps you calibrate your detector for different ground conditions and cancel out interference from power lines. You don’t have to master everything about your detector right away – the in-depth features will be waiting for you when you’re ready for them.
There’s no shortage of detectors that are powerful, yet simple enough to guarantee an excellent experience for operators of all experience levels. The Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Titan 9000, Garrett AT Pro and New 2015 Minelab GO-FIND Series will give any beginner tons of hassle-free treasure hunting adventures. Other machines, like the Treasure Commanders, Teknetics T2, and Minelab X-Terra’s, are designed with intuitive features that keep the learning curve low for newcomers and experienced detectorists, alike.
Metal detecting is a hobby that pays for itself, so don’t think of your new metal detector as an expense; think of it as an investment for fun, adventure and excitement for you, your family and probably friends once they see all the money, rings and other valuables you find!
Our advice is simple – Buy the best you can afford! The better your detector, the more sensitive it will be and the deeper it will penetrate. In general, the more expensive the detector, the more features and automation it will have, the easier it will be to tune, and the more versatile and durable it will be. Whatever your budget, be it $200, $500, $1000, or more, you can find THE BEST option for you by checking our "Metal Detectors by Price" section.
Remember...the wealth you find with your detector adds up quickly. A single killer find like a diamond ring, gold bracelet, or an old coin with a rare mint mark could pay for your detector and then some. We hear from people nearly every week about that "one find" that paid for their detector – it's far more common than you think. Click on Treasure Stories/Finds/Pics to see what folks like you are finding every day.
If you’re seriously looking for BIG treasure caches that are buried DEEP, you need a detector with serious power. Detecting devices from OKM can penetrate anywhere from a few feet to as much as 80 FEET! The Nokta Golden King can identify gold targets at astounding depths of up to 8 meters using real time 3D imaging, and for serious and professional water searches, Kellyco has in stock the world-famous Aquascan/Aquapulse detectors. You can investigate these and other devices in our Professional Metal Detectors section.
Continue Reading, there's more...
Have More Questions? Call a Certified Metal Detector Expert
Toll Free: 1-888-535-5926 or 407-699-8700
Please click here to contact us
- Everything from batteries to searchcoils!
- Things you need to know!
- A to Z source for words related to metal detecting!
- Top areas to start your search for treasure!
- Now What: You Bought a Metal Detector, What's the Next Step?
- What's the Difference and do You Need One?
- The who, what, where, when and why of finding a fallen star!
- Includes methods to clean coins without causing damage.
- Steps showing how to become a great relic hunter written by Andy Sabisch.
- Information on on how to successfully test your metal detector!
- Metal detectors can unearth some of the worlds most beautiful treasures.
- Older treasure is more valuable and interesting!
- Find treasures in your local park!
- Information on how to become a great beach hunter
written by Bill Paxton.
- Charles Garrett, treasure hunter/author, offers tips for beginners
- Things you need to know!
- A thorough list of the top sites for any treasure hunter!
- Metal Detecting Treasure Tips by Jim Foster!
- Things to keep in mind while treasure hunting!
- Do you know a youngster interested in metal detecting?
- Gold Detecting Tips From A "Pro"
- Look For The Best Places To Hunt!
- Steps showing how to become a great coin hunter written by Bill Paxton
- Information on how to become a great urban treasure hunter written by Bill Paxton
- Information on how to become a great beach & lake hunter
written by Andy Sabisch.
- Information on how to thoughtfully recover targets keeping the environment and the target itself in mind written by Bill Paxton.
- Informative videos to help you learn and become better detectorist.