Treasure Detecting Tips
Metal Detecting on Beach and in Water
Beach detecting is primarily wading and searching on wet sand during low tide. I only wade in very shallow water and use a Sovereign with a submersible, waterproof coil.
The following tips have been developed from many years of successful beach and water metal detecting:
- If you are working water too deep to keep your control box dry, use a fully submersible detector, such as the Excalibur.
- I secure my sovereign, in its hipmounted bag in a shoulder harness with the control unit on my chest. I wear chest-high waders or a wetsuit depending on water temperature and weather. A backpack is also invaluable carrying a water bottle, spare battery, sun screen, etc., - be prepared for any situation.
- To recover detected targets in the water use a good stainless steel sand scoop (available here).
- When working the beach, always look for hard-packed sand, possibly with black sand and shallow washed-out gullies. Another useful sign is shells or pebbles lying on the sand. Loose sand, as a rule, doesn’t carry many good targets.
- Heavy sea activity does not always mean targets will be plentiful. Large waves tend to dump loose sand on the beach, which buries targets deeper. My best finds have been in slowly lapping water, which tends to move loose sand out of the sea.
- Treat the beach like your own garden. Always try to present to the public a good image of detector users so that we can retain a good name – this helps us all.
I wish you every success and good hunting!
Please click here to contact us
- Everything from batteries to searchcoils!
- Things you need to know!
- A to Z source for words related to metal detecting!
- Top areas to start your search for treasure!
- Now What: You Bought a Metal Detector, What's the Next Step?
- What's the Difference and do You Need One?
- The who, what, where, when and why of finding a fallen star!
- Includes methods to clean coins without causing damage.
- Steps showing how to become a great relic hunter written by Andy Sabisch.
- Information on on how to successfully test your metal detector!
- Metal detectors can unearth some of the worlds most beautiful treasures.
- Older treasure is more valuable and interesting!
- Find treasures in your local park!
- Charles Garrett, treasure hunter/author, offers tips for beginners
- Things you need to know!
- A thorough list of the top sites for any treasure hunter!
- Metal Detecting Treasure Tips by Jim Foster!
- Things to keep in mind while treasure hunting!
- Do you know a youngster interested in metal detecting?
- Know what to look for at possible Gold sites!
- Look For The Best Places To Hunt!
- Steps showing how to become a great coin hunter written by Bill Paxton
- Information on how to become a great urban treasure hunter written by Bill Paxton
- Information on how to become a great beach hunter written by Andy Sabisch.
- Informative videos to help you learn and become better detectorist.