Good Reasons to Own a Metal Detector
1. Metal detecting is one of the few hobbies that really “pays for itself ” with every day finds such as old and new coins, diamond rings, gold jewelry, valuable relics and even buried and hidden treasures. Jars of coins, metal boxes with paper money, gold coins and valuable jewelry were all buried for safekeeping and while many of them have been rediscovered with a metal detector, there's lots more still waiting to be found.
2. Searching for treasures with a metal detector has proven to be a great “stress buster” for thousands of people. Problems seem to disappear when your detector discovers a buried target. You can get away from everyone if you want solitude, or you can meet new people to join you for company.
3. Using a metal detector can be good for your health. Getting out, breathing in fresh air, and walking, as you must, to find different treasures is a great form of exercise. Plus, bending down to dig up a target is an excellent way to trim your waistline.
4. You will certainly make more friends on your quest for valuables and treasures. Many people have been interested in obtaining a metal detector and will find ways to talk to you about what you are doing, where you bought it, what you found, etc. Many of these people might also share a story or two about interesting areas they know you might find old coins or relics.
5. You'll learn about your local history and may even find yourself reading books about the area you're living in. There are probably books containing lots of historical information that go back 50 to over 100 years or more. You may even start going to the library more often.
6. Searching for treasures with metal detectors is a perfect way to get your family involved in doing an activity together. More and more families are joining metal detecting clubs, attending planned treasure hunts where there are prizes galore, and they even have special hunts for kids.
7. Metal detecting opens up interests in other hobbies. A large number of metal detector users found themselves and family members becoming enthusiastic coin collectors. And why not? A penny recently sold for $41,000! You will want to look closely at each coin you recover in coin books or online. Coins are often worth far more than face value.
8. You can now vacation closer to home. There are dozens of places of interest for metal detector users within a short drive from your home. In fact, you can start right in your own city or town. You can arrange weekends for places where people vacation and hunt for their lost coins and jewelry. Weekend camping trips gives your whole family a vacation with more places for you to use your metal detector.
9. Hundreds upon hundreds of treasures that have been lost and discarded can be discovered with a metal detector. The popular television show, Antique Road Show, has shown millions of people that treasures come in all sizes and shapes. Old toys, banks, lead soldiers, pens, watches, jewelry, literally anything you find might be an unexpected treasure. You may easily discover treasures in the ground but also in antique shops and general stores on your way or coming back from a treasure hunting outing.
10. Metal Detecting for treasures is one this countries fastest growing hobbies and has been for the last ten years. There are numerous treasure hunting clubs and groups in many cities and towns that welcome newcomers with open arms. These clubs go treasure hunting to areas that have been well researched. They have get-togethers, travel to interesting places and share their knowledge freely. If there are no clubs in your area it means you can be the first to search out all the good areas.
Added August 5, 2008
Submitted by Jack S. Miami FL.
11. You never get bored. It's always exciting never knowing what you are going to find that day. It could be a handful of coins, maybe a piece of gold jewelry or that beautiful diamond ring, or even a Gold Coin that my friend recently found. Every time you go out with your metal detector, it's different.
Added August 14, 2008
Submitted by Kellyco Staff.
12. Anyone can use any modern metal detector Kellyco sells. Most Metal Detectors are very automatic making them easy to tune and just as easy to use. People who buy Metal Detectors range in age from youngsters to people in their 70’s and 80’s You’r never too young or too old.
13. Metal Detectors can operate as easily on land, beaches, deserts, mountain tops and even in shallow or deep water. No matter where you live and plan to use your metal detector, they can find “treasures” for you.
14. Today’s metal detectors are designed to be “smart”. Most can ( by sound) ,tell you the difference between a good find (coins, rings, etc.) or a junk find (iron, brass, lead, tin, etc.)
15. Most Metal Detectors with bright meters will show you what your find is and how deep it is before you dig it up. Some metal detectors are so “smart” they can show you the difference between coin finds by identifying them by by coin size (dime) and/or by a circle showing (10cents ) or (25 cents) (50 cents) etc.
16.Some Metal Detectors can show you the difference between 10, 14, 18, up to 22 karat gold rings and keep those finds in it’s memory showing you when it duplicates those finds at the same time tuning out “trash”
17. Many metal detectors can be easily set up to find only certain items, such as coins, coins and jewelry, gold, etc. while eliminating “junk
” items. And it is as easy to do as tuning your TV with a remote control!!!
18. Mini Vacationing
(From a large company that keeps employees up to date on health & fitness issues)
If sky-High gas prices have you hot under the collar, consider a few ways to reduce your fuel bill, save lots of money and have a fun vacation.
Consider driving to nearby destinations, you’ll save on gas and avoid fuel surcharges added by many airlines.
Use alternate transportation. Use train & bus systems many communities offer. Then use your feet to get around. You’ ll save on gas & get a better feel for the local area.
P.S. May we add that taking your metal detector with you on mini vacations can extend the fun and enjoyment of visiting new area and recovering old coins, jewelry, and other treasures. Visiting the local library can lead you to unexplored detecting areas that even locals might not be aware of.
Added March 25, 2008
Submitted by Richard.
19. Metal detecting is less expensive than golf, boating, skiing, fishing, hunting, trapping or just about any other activity that you can think of. Equipment is reasonably priced and lasts forever if cared for. Most importantly, you don't have to kill it, skin it, eat it or spend a fortune having it mounted and yet you have "trophies" in your finds themselves to enjoy.
Please click here to contact us
- Everything from batteries to searchcoils!
- Things you need to know!
- A to Z source for words related to metal detecting!
- Top areas to start your search for treasure!
- Now What: You Bought a Metal Detector, What's the Next Step?
- What's the Difference and do You Need One?
- The who, what, where, when and why of finding a fallen star!
- Includes methods to clean coins without causing damage.
- Steps showing how to become a great relic hunter written by Andy Sabisch.
- Metal detectors can unearth some of the worlds most beautiful treasures.
- Older treasure is more valuable and interesting!
- Things you need to know!
- A thorough list of the top sites for any treasure hunter!
- Metal Detecting Treasure Tips by Jim Foster!
- Things to keep in mind while treasure hunting!
- Charles Garrett, treasure hunter/author, offers tips for beginners
- Do you know a youngster interested in metal detecting?
- Know what to look for at possible Gold sites!
- Look For The Best Places To Hunt!
- Information on how to become a great urban treasure hunter written by Bill Paxton
- Information on how to become a great beach hunter written by Andy Sabisch.
- Informative videos to help you learn and become better detectorist.