Garrett's Three "Be's" of Treasure Hunting
Charles Garrett, master treasure hunter and author, offers basics for beginners.
Ask veteran treasure hunters for their keys to successful hunting and you are bound to hear all sorts of advice-some sound and some not so sound. Lord knows I've imparted as much wisdom over the years as I could to help my fellow coin shooters and relic hunters find more of what they were seeking. If I was asked to boil down all of my treasure hunting advice into three key bullet points, I would have to simplify it as:
- Be prepared.
- Be persistent.
- Be patient.
I must admit that this sounds almost ridiculously simple but part of being successful in the field is preparing yourself before you set out. It means doing the right research to find those good places to hunt. It also means learning your detector thoroughly, using your headphones to hear those deep targets and carrying the right recovery tools. Persistence and patience are equally necessary ingredients to success. For example, some of the old homesteads and historic areas you work may require you to dig a certain amount of useless items to find those cherished artifacts.
For decades, I have gone out prospecting and relic hunting with a special recovery tool that I have grown quite fond of. It has a sturdy digging blade for chopping through soil, clay and even small tree roots. Opposite from the blade is a rake head for sifting through sand and loose soil to find smaller treasure targets. The base end of the wood handle contains a magnet to clear ferrous junk metal from my excavation areas.
Have you ever wanted that ideal way to carryall of your detecting gear with you into the field? The new Garrett Detectorist's Backpack will hold an entire Deluxe Gold Pan Kit, two metal detectors ( one secured to the back of the pack and one disassembled inside), extra searchcoils, digging tools and all of your personal treasure hunting accessories! Best of all, this rugged new pack can be purchased as one of our Spring Specials bundled with ten other items at a special price.
Don't miss our other Spring Specials advertised in this Garrett Searcher. The price of gold continues to be at record high levels, making the Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger package a smart buy. Also offered is an exceptional price on a kit that includes the ACE 250 metal detector, the Garrett PRO-
POINTER, our new ClearSound Easy Stow headphones and the Garrett Detectorist's Backpack. Your good treasure hunting preparation might include the new tips you learn from reading one of our field guides. It might also include using a better recovery tool. It may be the peace of mind of knowing your new backpack contains everything you will need in the field. Be prepared. Be persistent. Be patient. But don't be surprised when these "be's" help lead you to exciting new treasure!
Please click here to contact us
- Everything from batteries to searchcoils!
- Things you need to know!
- A to Z source for words related to metal detecting!
- Top areas to start your search for treasure!
- Now What: You Bought a Metal Detector, What's the Next Step?
- What's the Difference and do You Need One?
- The who, what, where, when and why of finding a fallen star!
- Includes methods to clean coins without causing damage.
- Steps showing how to become a great relic hunter written by Andy Sabisch.
- Information on on how to successfully test your metal detector!
- Metal detectors can unearth some of the worlds most beautiful treasures.
- Older treasure is more valuable and interesting!
- Find treasures in your local park!
- Charles Garrett, treasure hunter/author, offers tips for beginners
- Things you need to know!
- A thorough list of the top sites for any treasure hunter!
- Metal Detecting Treasure Tips by Jim Foster!
- Things to keep in mind while treasure hunting!
- Do you know a youngster interested in metal detecting?
- Know what to look for at possible Gold sites!
- Look For The Best Places To Hunt!
- Steps showing how to become a great coin hunter written by Bill Paxton
- Information on how to become a great urban treasure hunter written by Bill Paxton
- Information on how to become a great beach hunter
written by Andy Sabisch.
- Information on how to thoughtfully recover targets keeping the environment and the target itself in mind written by Bill Paxton.
- Informative videos to help you learn and become better detectorist.